-=PCTechTalk=- Bandwidth waste

  • From: "DH (Rick) Holmes" <hayvan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PCTT <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:33:10 +1200

I changed to the digest mode yesterday to see whether it would be better
than receiving individual mail postings.

I don't like it as much.  But what I did find interesting was the following:

I did a Copy and Paste to Word of the digest I received this morning NZ
time, and the size of the file was 280kb (52 pages!)as reported by
MSWord.  I then went through the file and deleted all the repeated stuff
which should have been trimmed back, as requested from time to time.
Guess what?  The trimmed file was only 126kb (28pages!!)   That did not
include trimming signature lines, html lines, and the multiple
occurrences of the footer added by Freelists.

IMHO, it is regrettable that so many regularly do not edit the postings
to which they reply.  The moderators have asked for this several times
since I have been on this list.  I enjoy the list.  I have received
help, and hopefully given help where I can. However, the failure to edit
postings, such as is happenning currently, is costing me time and
wasting bandwidth.   I expect to be on fibre optic/wireless cable this
week sometime, so it will cost me money as well and I don't have enough
to waste.  We  have to live within our means.

I will revert back to individual mails today and sincerely hope that
this situation improves promptly.

Sorry to be prattling on about this, but it has irked me somewhat.

Best wishes to all

Cheers

Rick H.