-=PCTechTalk=- Attn Gman - Re: " Trying to get rid of Ubuntu "

  • From: <mytoybox1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:13:57 -0500

Re:
Teri,
    The simplest thing to do is to simply Format the drive.  This can be
accomplished in several ways, the easiest and most complete being that you
should use the bootable software disk that came with the drive (Every
manufacturer includes these disks with retail versions of hard drives).  If
you don't have that anymore (or if you never did), go to the hard drive
maker's website and download a copy.  The included tools will allow you to
remove any and all existing partitions and format the entire drive back to
the way it was when originally purchased.  As stated above, if there's
anything on there that you wish to save, tell us about that before doing any
of the above.
    Once the drive has been returned to Factory specs, you shouldn't have
any trouble installing Linspire.... Gman
Hiya Gman ... I bought the hard drive as a close out from Geeks.com at a very
good price . All that was in the package was a bubble wrapped hard drive with
no documentation or CD . It is a WDC WD400jb  40 Gig Western Digital hard drive
. I got that from the hardware list in the Ubuntu OS .
I went to the Western Digital site for that particular hard drive and looked
for a recovery disk ... CD ... or floppy ... and could not find any of them .
So that puts me back to square one ... to use my Windows XP disk ... and
install it over the top of Ubuntu like Don suggested . Then use Partition Magic
for a second partition to put Linspire on and have a dual boot machine .
It`s a shame that Netzero my ISP does not support Ubuntu ...
from the thing`s that I have seen by poking around the system it seem`s very
slick and easy to understand ... the learning curve is very slight .
I did try searching for a Linus friendly ISP but they all looked so flakey that
I backed away . One was in Lebenon ... yeah right !  ... like I`m going to give
my money to Hezbollah ... let them get it from Iran .
I do not have anything of value to save from the Ubuntu file`s .
I was really trying to get away from the bloated Windows OS and the constant
update`s, and the virus`s, and the sudden error shut down`s from Internet
Exploder .
Ooooh well ....
Thank you for the help anyway`s .

LiL OL Me