[pchelpers] Risky script

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PC-Helpers <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:00:14 +1300

For webmasters and site developers. Many use convenient cgi or perl
scripts to provide services to site visitors. It has recently come to my
attention that at least one script is being targeted by s p a m m e r s
in an attempt to broadcast their useless junk mail while making it look
like you are responsible (by using your server for it). If your site has
a script called 'sender.pl' then watch out. These people use scanners to
locate scripts like this (normally for telling a friend about a good
page you found) to submit stuff to them so your site broadcasts it. If
you have this script, you can do one of 2 things.

1) Replace it with something else (or stop offering the service) or
2) Get a more secure version from me. This one only allows submission
from a specified server (yours), and so only works for your website (not
those other guys).

Drop me a line if interested.

--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>