[pchelpers] Regarding adding a DVD burner

  • From: "Louis M Hall" <lhall1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:38:25 -0600

BlankI have installed the WinFast 2000XP Video Card. It seems to fit the =
bill where I want to record TV. A little bleeding/snow in the channels =
below 13. Cable man came out suggesting that where there is a line with =
both the cable and TV signal coming into a location it would be better =
if it were two lines from the box on the house instead of a splitter =
just before the cable modem to send the signal to the TV card on the PC =
[plus a regular TV and VCR, in my case, split out here], then there is a =
splitter off this one line to the Linksys Etherfast
Cable/DSL Router that takes my cable signal to two computers. Remember, =
I previously stated that the cable people told me that it is not a good =
practice to have a booster on the cable line going to a booster. I have =
their booster on the tv signals going to other TV/VCR/DVD "s" around the =
house. Cable man added a couple of filters with the comment that I am =
trying to get a lot out of that one line from my box to my PC/TV area.

I ordered the Optorite DD0401 from Accupc [source for TV card]. =
Measurements seem OK
for installing in my Dell Dimension 8250 tower. I mention this as I =
remember reading something ????that suggested Dell's tower, in some =
cases, was a little different.

My DVD player, located elsewhere in the home, doesn't appear to be =
capable of reading DVD+RW or DVW+R discs. It seems +RW and+R are either =
newer, or a less propogated than -RW and -R play capabilities on DVD =
players. So, this is telling me that I will not get
the benefit of 8X speed of DVD+R discs produced with the Optorite =
DD0401. This means that I will be producing DVD-RW at 2X speed and DVD-R =
at 4X speed. I'll study later as to the feasibility of Direct X software =
for my fooling around plans with the new hardware.

My question to you kind people. Does what I have stated above make =
technical sense?
If not, I'd best get back to my research towards playing around and =
converting some family VCR tapes to CD's as well as create backup for a =
few movie DVD's.

Thank You,

-- Type: image/gif
-- File: Blank Bkgrd.gif