[pchelpers] Re: Over 2000 bots?

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: John Durham <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 16:36:52 -0500

Hi John,

Sunday, June 4, 2006, 3:27:56 PM, you wrote:

JD> I tried to persuade the staff at www.whois.sc to contact the
JD> owners and inform them of the matter so as to clean their systems,
JD> but they declined. If anyone has suggestions about how to (or
JD> whether to) do that, please write in.

Realistically, contacting the owner of a particular system is only
easily done by the owner's ISP.

I think this is an ISP problem; you really need a universal standard
that ISPs can be forced (or very strongly recommended) to check for
and require (or very strongly recommend) their users to conform to.
Large businesses will scan their computers to check for infected
systems, and require them to be fixed immediately. There is no such
enforcement for home users, and many ISPs may be afraid of losing
users if they try to enforce such ("how do you know that unless you've
been attacking my system!"). By making it a standard and/or mandatory,
the infection rate can be cut way down.

JD> I can email it to you as an attachment (text file), if it is
JD> helpful to you.

You may not want to email it to people whom you don't know/trust; a
system that has a bot is almost certainly insecure and can thus be
infected by other bots.

--
Scott.