[pchelpers] News:Yemen mail bomb 'could have detonated over eastern US'

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 08:05:07 +1300

Tests on a failed parcel bomb sent on a US-bound cargo flight last month
show it could have been designed to detonate over the eastern US, say
police.

The bomb was found in a printer cartridge on a plane in a UK airport,
after being posted from Yemen.

"If the device had activated it would have been at 1030hrs BST (0930
GMT) on Friday 29 October 2010," said British police.

A second mail bomb, also sent from Yemen, was intercepted in Dubai.

The UK bomb, intercepted at East Midlands airport, was discovered early
on 29 October, following a tip-off from Saudi intelligence.

It was removed and "disrupted" by explosives officers about three hours
before it was timed to detonate, police said in a statement.

"If the device had not been removed from the aircraft the activation
could have occurred over the eastern seaboard of the US," they said.

More here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11729720
Note: In my little corner of the Pacific, these kinds of incidents seem
frightening. Oh, we have our problems, but very few incidents here can
be compared with the things happening overseas. Folk sympathize with the
ones affected, but often feel powerless to improve the lot of those
affected by people who target the innocent for some perceived advantage.
The world is changing around us as we watch. Will it still be a fit
place to bring up our children?
--
Regards, John Durham
Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786