[pchelpers] Re: MP3

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Deb Pfingsten <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:06:49 -0500

Hi Deb,

Tuesday, September 28, 2004, 9:29:04 AM, you wrote:

DP> Have I assumed correctly that since MP3's are so compact that
DP> there is no way to successfully convert them to be heard on a
DP> non-MP3 CD player? That they cannot be saved/burned on a compact
DP> disc (CD)

In case you're still wondering after all that, here's the difference:

There are two main formats of CDs; audio and data. There are others,
but they're much less common.

As far as I know, any CD player will play an audio CD, although you
might have trouble with CD-R's and CD-RWs on older drives.

An MP3 CD is a standard data (computer) CD. Any computer (with CD
drive, of course) that has media player software that recognizes the
MP3 format can play MP3 discs.  That means that the 15-year-old PC in
the attic with the single-speed CD-ROM drive can play MP3s if you can
find MP3 player software that will fit on the 30 meg hard drive and
run under DOS 2.0.

Thus, music CD players can only play MP3 if they either have an
MP3-compatible chip in them, or use a programmable CPU with MP3
software.

Apparently WMV players are available now also.

A WAV file is simply a sound file. A WAV file that completely fills a
data CD can be burned onto a CD in audio format, and it'll completely
fill the CD. If you rip a standard audio CD that happens to have a
full 70 minutes, the WAV file that you create will fill a standard
data CD. If you burn an MP3 file to an audio-format CD, it must first
be converted to WAV format. The same happens when ripping to MP3
format; it's ripped to WAV format, which is then converted to MP3
format.  I suspect that music CD players work the same way; they
convert MP3 format to WAV format internally.

Well, hopefully I haven't made you MORE confused...

--Scott.