[pchelpers] Re: Hard-drive hiccup

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: PcCowboy <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:51:54 -0500

Hi PcCowboy,

P> I took it out and hooked it in my computer. My computer sees it.
P> I ran the WD diagnostic for Dos and got the error code 0007.
P> That is something to do with the SMART.

P> What caused this strange problem? Should we trust this drive?

According to this page, they recommend replacing the drive:
http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/errorcodes.asp
Error code 7 is near the bottom of the first table.

Personally, I would tend to pay closer attention to SMART errors, even
if wiping the drive causes the error to go away.

P> How can I return it for a RMA without any errors codes to report?

That's called "don't touch it, you'll break it". :)  This should not
be an issue, though, since it is your prerogative to want to wipe the
drive of any personal data before shipping it back.

If I recall right, SMART keeps a history of events, so they'll be able
to see that there was a problem, and won't have to take your word for
it.

--
Scott.