[pchelpers] Re: Fwd: Re: Dist format or disk eraser utility

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <ekhart.georgi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 02:41:59 +0200

Hi John

Please remove confusing references to me and Pen when you're answering
Gerald's question.

> Windows contains a format command. For example:
> FORMAT A:
> formats a disk in drive A:
>    The principle applies to all writable drives in or connected to the
> system.

Formatting a hard drive does not remove the data! It's easily
recoverable. See
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2005/harddrive_format.asp

When you format or reformat a hard drive it doesn't erase the data on
the hard drive -- only the address tables.

> If you want to remove a partition, a program called DELPART can do that
> with one command (highly destructive).
> It removes the partition and everything in it. This really amounts to
> deleting a drive from your system. Even if it is still physically
> present, the hard drive would need to be partitioned and then formatted
> again before files could be put there.

No, no, delpart does not remove the data on the partition! It's as
ineffective in protecting your data as the format command. See
http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/WIPE.html for more info, also
about incorrect use of the term "low-level format".