[pchelpers] Re: External USB 2 port

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gerald Gollinger <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:39:18 -0500

Hi Gerald,

Saturday, June 10, 2006, 6:02:40 PM, you wrote:

GG> Instead of an internal card where I have to dismantle my PC and a
GG> frustrating attempt to attach an internal USB 2 card to a pci slot
GG> would an external port like featured on the link work too? Yes I
GG> know it costs a lot more but rather than break a functioning PC
GG> desktop would this product work on a desktop? If not it would pay
GG> to buy a new PC.

GG>   http://tinyurl.com/f2shw

Universal docking stations (also known as port replicators) plug into
an existing USB port. Therefore, you'd still be limited to the speed
of your existing USB ports, which you say is the 1.1 standard.

Docking stations are intended for laptops, because they are often
lacking parallel ports and serial ports and PS/2 ports. However, an
increasing number of new desktops are lacking these also, and people
who have legacy peripherals and upgrade their computer may need one of
these in order to continue to use their legacy equipment. I'm sure the
manufacturer would be delighted to have you use their equipment on a
desktop, if you so wished, and furthermore would have no way of
knowing that you're not using it on a laptop anyway.

However, for your purposes, it would not do what you're expecting.

I am expecting that the prices of non-Vista Ready computers will drop
as the end of the year approaches, and vendors try to get consumers to
buy Vista-Ready equipment and try even harder to dump their non-Vista
Ready (or Capable) equipment. Note that the Vista Capable specs are
lower; most low-end computers on the market meet those specs already.
The cheapest at WalMart (online only, not in store) that I'd consider
is a $448 eMachine.

I just today updated my article on how to buy a computer, now that the
Vista requirements and recommendations have been published:
http://www.local.nu/HelpDesk/index.php/Choosing_a_computer

--
Scott.