[pchelpers] Re: External USB 2 port

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gerald Gollinger <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:22:29 -0500

Hi Gerald,

Sunday, June 11, 2006, 1:10:58 PM, you wrote:

GG> It is possible to get the EMachines brand with an AMD Sempron
GG> processor which is the equivalent of an Intel Celeron "D" chip.
GG> They come with six USB 2 ports, ethernet port but no floppy drive.
GG> And it would be compatible with my present peripherals. . And with
GG> 512 MB RAM and 1.7 or 1.8 GHz speed it meets my usage. I am not a
GG> gamer and a Pentium IV is not necessary in my case.

Nowadays, I'd get a USB floppy drive if one is needed.  However, if
possible, you should move everything over to CDs, DVDs, or some other
medium, so that you can stop using floppies entirely.

GG> One of my concerns is that Maxtor customer service was correct
GG> that the USB port in the rear of the PC was the only suitable one
GG> and the cards are on the front of the machine. My congregation is
GG> very elderly and I do not attend services much.

USB extension cables are available from any store that sells computer
equipment, to make a rear port readily accessible from the front.

GG> And to spend  a couple of hundred  US  dollars  for a card
GG> installation it may be better like Scott mentions to buy a new

I hope it doesn't cost any couple of hundred just to install a card!

Installing a card is probably something that you can do yourself,
unless you tend to have poor mechanical aptitude. The hardest part is
likely to be figuring out how to open the case; some of them are hard
to open even when you know how to (I've had to use a hammer in the
past, due to excessively-tight fit).

GG>   The bottom line unless  I  get a  technician  who understands
GG> a Compaq mother board I rather have something than nothing.

Anyone familiar with working on computers can look at it. Most
motherboards are pretty much all the same, with the big differences
being due to technological changes.

--
Scott.