[pchelpers] Re: CD Drive

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 13:57:20 -0700

Well I'm thinkin out loud here but if the computer reboots when a cd
is put into the drive, then trying to put an OS cd in there might not
be particularly helpful. (:)

Joe, by default, xp is set up to reboot when a serious error occurs.
This behavior can be changed by going into control panel > system,
clicking the 'advanced' tab, then pressing the startup & recovery
settings' button. There is an option in there under the 'on failure'
group which says to automatically restart when a failure occurs.
Uncheck that--perhaps we can get a better idea of the error that's
occurring.

Also, under Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, one
can look at the event logs & see if there were any errors. The most
helpful are usually the system & application logs. These may be
filtered by going into the view menu, clicking 'Filter', & then
selecting the options u want. Specifically, uncheck the 'information'
checkbox as this provides an awful lot of usually unnecessary info.

I'm rather suspecting the drive is stuffed, but perhaps data execution
prevention or malware is also causative. Registry errors might also be
implicated. But if I had to lay down money, I'd bet hardware.

--
Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride