[pchelpers] Re: CD Drive

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 08:30:03 +1300

On 9/11/2010 5:09 a.m., Jo Wells wrote:
> My cousin's computer works fine until she puts a disc into her CD Rom
> drive..........then it crashes and reboots.  Without the CD in - it
> boots fine.  Any ideas?  She has Windows 2000.
It's hard to be sure from this information, but there are some questions
which may shed light on it.
1) How long ago did she perform physical maintenance of files (in My
Computer)?
2) When did she last do a system file check (SFC) at the command prompt?
Note: The form of this varies in different versions.
Typical forms (entered at Start, Run)
SFC
or
SFC /SCANNOW
In both cases the operating system CD needs to be in the CD drive.
--
Regards, John Durham
Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786