[patriots] Re: The Dark Web

  • From: john TIMBRELL <johntimbrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ukpatriot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ukpatriot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 08:46:46 +0000

Thank you Jack, I was considering buying such a programme from Avast .
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 09:39:55 +0100
From: ukpatriot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: patriots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; ecg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [patriots] The Dark Web

    Hi All,

      Last nigh I watched a programme about how to keep yourself secure
      when using the Internet. I think we all recognise that we can and
      are being monitored when we go online to do something. Since this
      programme was 'Horizon' which is BBC, I think a level of caution
      should be observed about the programme's content. However I
      personally feel comfortable about it.

      It was about an encryption software that maintains ones anonymity.
      It was originally developed by the US Government in order to
      protect itself from eavesdroppers and hackers. It then was taken
      up by others as open source software. It is used today in
      countries with oppressive governments by people and activists who
      want to remain anonymous and safe from government security. It is
      also used by Wikileaks which is why they are so successful.
      Wikileaks founder, Julian assange, was interviewed and he talked
      about its invulnerability. The only reason one of his
      whistle-blowers was found out was because the chap told someone
      about what he had done and got himself arrested.

      This software is called 'TOR' and can be freely downloaded. It
      uses multilevel encryption and the more people who use it the more
      effective it becomes. The downside is that criminals are using it
      big-time. This in itself becomes a recommendation to use it!

      Here is a link to its website: https://www.torproject.org/

      I think this would be a good idea for all activists including the
      ECG to take a look at it. I suggest that you watch this Horizon
      programme using this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04grp09/horizon-20142015-4-inside-the-dark-web

      Do not be put off by its title 'Inside the Dark Web' as this is
      reflecting its abuse by criminals.

      Some feedback on this via the UKPatriots email address
      patriots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx so that all can benefit from other's
      comments.

      Jack