[p900] "master reset" is actually "junior reset"...

  • From: Alfonso Martone <a.martone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: p900@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 23:51:12 +0100

Huh. The "master reset" is actually a "junior reset".

This afternoon I found that the "Internet" menu option does not start=20
(giving out a weird "CONE error 15" which was never seen before!),=20
while in the Launcher the "Attivit=E0" Italian name became=20
"Todo" (English name), without its standard icon (but the application=20
itself continued to speak in Italian).=20

I am quite disappointed with these bugs. Yes, they are "bugs" and not=20
just "problems", because they appeared without any reason. The first=20
makes me think about executable (or library) file corruption. The=20
second makes me think about some .AIF file disappearing (deleted). But=20
in the last two days I did not use third party programs (I already told=20
you I happen to be very glad of the P900 internal software, and this=20
means that I do not use too much third party software), neither I used=20
the "Attivit=E0" ("Todo" application); maybe I have started it by=20
erroneous tapping on the touchscreen, but I did not use it. In the last=20
two days there was only one "strange" event (quite far from finding out=20
"Todo" and "Internet" problems): the P900 went off because of=20
discharged battery (but it was common: it beeps, shows a message and=20
the animation, and then the shutdown happens). Well, I do not know the=20
exact reason, but I just found the P900 with these two problems (who=20
appear even after shutdown and restart). To clear out them I did a=20
Master Reset (OUCH!!!) and this already made me quite unhappy. But,=20
SOON AFTER THE MASTER RESET, the "CONE error 15" and the "Todo" were=20
STILL THERE!!! (tests were done without memorystickduo inserted!)

I tried again a Master Reset, but the problems were still there. Then I=20
tried to "master reset" selecting English language, and the "Internet"=20
application got alive again (but the "Todo" still shows the common=20
"diamond icon", making me think that something of the current firmware=20
was overwritten)! Trying again a Master Reset, I found that the Italian=20
language disappeared (AAARGH!).

Also, I found that in the C:\SYSTEM\APPS directory, after A NUMBER of=20
"Master Resets" I still have data subdirectories of programs which I=20
tested MONTHS AGO!!! (this is creating a lot of problems while=20
reinstalling other programs).

Well, while I am happy for technical characteristics of this machine, I=20
begin to feel very annoyed because of these arising BUGS and PROBLEMS!=20
And this happens after only FOUR MONTHS I bought this product. Shame on=20
you, Sony Ericsson & Symbian guys! These damned bugs remind me the Old,=20
Old, Old days, when I was compelled to use Windows 3.1 and 95 and their=20
nightmare bugs and problems, which appeared without any reason, giving=20
continuous demonstration of their instability!!!=20

alf