[overture] Re: smoothed polygon

  • From: Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 12:52:12 -0800

Hi Alessandro,
  The smoothed polygon does not actually pass through the vertices.
I suggest that you start the polygon on the middle of the bottom edge
and maybe add another vertex on the middle of the top edge, even though
the polygon is flat there (or to be even more symmetric add a few vertices along the
bottom and top edges.

...Bill
Alessandro Orchini wrote:
Thanks Bill, that was really helpful.

Actually I've another question about the smoothed-polygon mapping. I usually create them with a routine similar to the following one:

***********************************
  smoothedPolygon
    vertices
   5
0. -0.025
1.0 -0.025
1.0 0.025
0. 0.025
0. -0.025
n-dist
    fixed normal distance
    -1.0
lines
    250,150
    boundary conditions
    -1, -1, 1, 0
n-stretch
    2. 10. 0.00001
 exit

and I think that the leading edge should be in the origin. Is that so, or the smooth function makes the mapping a bit "longer" and it is somehow shifted?

I do appreciate your help,

Alessandro