[overture] Re: re-starting simulations

  • From: Alessandro Orchini <aorchini@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:18:12 +0100

Thanks Bill, that was really helpful.

Actually I've another question about the smoothed-polygon mapping. I usually
create them with a routine similar to the following one:

***********************************
  smoothedPolygon
    vertices
   5
0. -0.025
1.0 -0.025
1.0 0.025
0. 0.025
0. -0.025
n-dist
    fixed normal distance
    -1.0
lines
    250,150
    boundary conditions
    -1, -1, 1, 0
n-stretch
    2. 10. 0.00001
 exit
***********************************

and I think that the leading edge should be in the origin. Is that so, or the
smooth function makes the mapping a bit "longer" and it is somehow shifted?

I do appreciate your help,

Alessandro

Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:52:24 -0800
From: henshaw@xxxxxxxx
To: overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [overture] Re: re-starting simulations

Hi Alessandro,

   When you restart from a showfile the properties of the moving bodies
are also

read from the showfile, including the constraint. Unfortunately there
is currently

no easy way to change these values. I will add an option to allow
changes.

In the mean time, as a work around you could try one of these options:

    Option 1. (not sure if this really woks or not)

           1(a) restart with motion OFF and save the solution at t=0 in
a new show file.

           1(b) restart with motion ON using the show file from step
1(a).

   Option 2. Edit the file cg/common/moving/src/RigidBodyMotion.C and

      change the "get" function and turn off the constraint after it is
read in

     from the show file: (around line 1680)

        subDir.get(temp,"positionConstraint");
positionConstraint=(PositionConstraintEnum)temp;

       positionConstraint=positionHasNoConstraint; // **** add me ***

I hope that helps,

  Bill.

Alessandro Orchini wrote:

Hi all,

I run a simulation in which i had only 1 degree of freedom, and now I
want to begin a new simulation starting from the final conditions of
the first one, but with 3 degree of freedom.

If I use the option "initial condition - read from a show file" does
overture set the same degree of freedom of the old simulation (e.g.,
position is constrained to a line) or this is a user choice?

Thanks!

Alessandro