[overture] Re: re-starting simulations

  • From: Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:52:24 -0800

Hi Alessandro,
When you restart from a showfile the properties of the moving bodies are also read from the showfile, including the constraint. Unfortunately there is currently
no easy way to change these values. I will add an option to allow changes.

In the mean time, as a work around you could try one of these options:
   Option 1. (not sure if this really woks or not)
1(a) restart with motion OFF and save the solution at t=0 in a new show file.
          1(b) restart with motion ON using the show file from step 1(a).

  Option 2. Edit the file cg/common/moving/src/RigidBodyMotion.C and
change the "get" function and turn off the constraint after it is read in
    from the show file: (around line 1680)
subDir.get(temp,"positionConstraint"); positionConstraint=(PositionConstraintEnum)temp;
      positionConstraint=positionHasNoConstraint; // **** add me ***

I hope that helps,
 Bill.

Alessandro Orchini wrote:

Hi all,

I run a simulation in which i had only 1 degree of freedom, and now I want to begin a new simulation starting from the final conditions of the first one, but with 3 degree of freedom.

If I use the option "initial condition - read from a show file" does overture set the same degree of freedom of the old simulation (e.g., position is constrained to a line) or this is a user choice?

Thanks!

Alessandro