[overture] Re: restarting a moving grid computation

  • From: Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:16:30 -0800

Hi justin,
  My mistake in not reading your question carefully. The files

mm.show    mm.show1      mm.show2      mm.show3      mm.show4

are really just a way of saving "mm.show" in multiple files so that
no one file gets too big. When you open mm.show, for example
with "plotStuff mm.show", you get access to all solutions in
mm.show, mm.show1, ... to mm.show4.

 Thus if you restart with mm.show and choose the last solution
you will get the last solution in mm.show4.

...Bill

zmh021810 wrote:
Well, really thank you for ur words, Bill!
form ur words I know that I can restart from a moving grid computation. But can I restart from a moving grid computation from a certain number of show file? For example: I already have the moving grid show file mm.show mm.show1 mm.show2 mm.show3 mm.show4 Next step Can I restart from the *mm.show3* to* *get the new moving grid show file named mmm.show? In your example, can I do -- run a restart computation cgins cicMove -g=cice2.order2 -tp=.1 -tf=1. -restart="*cicMove.show4*" -show="cicMove2.show" -go=halt

Best wishes to you!
Justin On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx <mailto:henshaw@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Justin:
     You can restart from a moving grid computation. For example, the
    following
    should work:

    -- generate the grid using Overture/sampleGrids/cicArg.cmd
    ogen noplot cicArg -order=2 -interp=e -factor=2

    -- run a moving grid computation:
    cgins -noplot cicMove -g=cice2.order2 -tp=.1 -tf=.5
    -show="cicMove.show" -go=go

    -- run a restart computation
    cgins cicMove -g=cice2.order2 -tp=.1 -tf=1.
    -restart="cicMove.show" -show="cicMove2.show" -go=halt

    I don't know what caused your error. If the program crashed when
    creating mm.show then the last
    show file may be corrupted. You may be able to delete mm.show4 and
    try again.

    ...Bill

    zmh021810 wrote:

        Dear everyone,
         Can Overture do the second times of the moving grid based on
        the first moving grid show file?
         I mean
         First I generate a m.show file which is no moving grid.
         Then I generate a mm.show file which is moving grid and case
        it is based on the m.show. Assume I have mm.show1  mm.show2
         mm.show3  mm.show4
         So can I generate a mmm.show file which is moving grid case
        and it is based on the mm.show??  For example I can code it:
         initial conditions
        read from a show file...
        show file name mm.show3
         However,  I get error to say:
        getInitialConditions: readFromShowFile
        **ShowFileReader::getASolution:get a new moving grid:
        frameSeries=0, solutionNumber=55
        HDF_DataBase:ERROR:get(floatSerialArray): cannot get entry
        with name = floatBuffer
        (directory=/root/defaultFrameSeries/frame55/CompositeGrid)
        HDF_DataBase:ERROR:get(intSerialArray): cannot get entry with
        name = intBuffer
        (directory=/root/defaultFrameSeries/frame55/CompositeGrid)
        HDF_DataBase:ERROR:get(doubleSerialArray): cannot get entry
        with name = doubleBuffer
        (directory=/root/defaultFrameSeries/frame55/CompositeGrid)
        FindDir:ERROR: unable to find directory streamed_arrays
        fullGroupPath=[/root/defaultFrameSeries/frame55/CompositeGrid]
        terminate called after throwing an instance of 'char const*'
        Aborted
         If someone knows it, hope you can share it with me.
         Best wishes for you!
         Justin