what is the process queue reference latch?

  • From: Tony van Lingen <tony.vanlingen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 10:33:08 +1000

Morning all,

Does any-one know what the process queue reference latch does? I've
never seen it pop up in my monitors, but this morning in one database it
has an appalling miss rate:

NAME                                                  WW        IMM
IMMEDIATE_GETS IMMEDIATE_MISSES
--------------------------------------------- ---------- ----------
-------------- ----------------
process queue reference                       .020905483
187.158241        2390210          4473475

(from v$latch: ww - miss ratio of willing-to-wait type gets, imm - miss
ratio of immediate gets, both in %)

This database is an Oracle 10.1.0.4 64bit on Solaris 9. Today only a
handful of users are logged on and they are perfoming some sort of
system test - they complain that the system is running like a dog and
this is the only anomality I could find.

I found some hint on google that this has something to do with parallel
execution., but I've checked for parallel execution, but can't find a
trace of any. None has been defined as far as I know. Can Oracle decide
to use parallellism anyway even if the degree on all tables is 1 and the
parallel_* init vars are all default?

Cheers,

--
Tony van Lingen

___________________________
Disclaimer

This e-mail, including attachments if any, has originated from a Queensland
government agency and may contain information that is confidential, or covered
by legal professional privilege, and is intended for the named recipient(s)
only.  If you have received this message in error, you are asked to inform the
sender as quickly as possible and delete this message and any copies of this
message from your computer system network.

Any form of disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this
e-mail, including attachments is prohibited.  Unless otherwise stated, this
e-mail, including attachments represents the views of the sender and not the
views of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Although this e-mail has been checked for the presence of computer viruses, the
Environmental Protection Agency provides no warranty that all possible viruses
have been detected and cleaned.  Any use of this e-mail could harm your
computer system.