was (RE: SGADEF file?) is How to best detect database health

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:13:25 -0700

        I will agree with Mr. Bobak.  Connect to test that the database
is not only started but is accessible to a non-privileged username.

...this is a great thread, but it has moved more into database
health than "is the instance up", which was the initial thread. So
let me ask, is connecting as a non-priveledged user really good enough?
So you get a session. Are the datafiles online? Can you parse a SQL
statement? etc ?