** to outline or not to

  • From: A Joshi <ajoshi977@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 19:47:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
   I looked at metalink note 122812.1 How to Tune a Query that Cannot be
Modified. And that led to manipulate of stored outline note :

@ Note 92202.1 Manipulating Stored Outlines ? this is NOT supported

It says not supported but can I assume it to be safe? Anyone had any surprises?
About outline itself if it is set to be used systemwide I am sure it will have
a overhead since all queries will be checked in outline. I want to know to what
extent is this overhead (rough percentage?). Any other issues? Maybe a user can
have stored outlines used by a onlogon trigger. Info/experience on this
appreciated. Thanks