RE: ** to outline or not to

  • From: "Christian Antognini" <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ajoshi977@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:35:50 +0200

Hi

>I looked at metalink note 122812.1 How to Tune a Query
>that Cannot be Modified. And that led to manipulate of
>stored outline note :
>
>@ Note 92202.1
><https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=NOT&id=92202.1&blackframe=1>
>Manipulating Stored Outlines - this is NOT supported
>
>It says not supported but can I assume it to be safe?

Please, note that this note is 8i specific. In fact, as of 9i, outline editing
is fully supported. You even find an Outline Editor in OEM.

>Anyone had any surprises?

I'll not judge outline editing in 8i because I never used it in production. In
9i it works well.

>About outline itself if it is set to be used systemwide
>I am sure it will have a overhead since all queries will
>be checked in outline. I want to know to what extent is
>this overhead (rough percentage?).

IMHO it's not possible to give you a "rough percentage". In fact the overhead,
if any, is too dependent from:
- #parse/#execute ratio
- parse_time/execute_time ratio

HTH
Chris

New Features Oracle Database 10g Release 2 seminars @ www.trivadis.com
Italiano: Lugano (24-Nov)
Français: Genève (17-Nov)
Deutsch: Düsseldorf (23-Nov), Zürich (29-Nov), Stuttgart (13-Dec)