Re: standby databases and memory consumption

  • From: Maureen English <maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>, nassyambasha@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 17:19:31 -0900

We currently have the parameters set to the same values as our primary database.
We're considering having the standby's hosted at Amazon and it sounds like the
plan would be to have them running and using as little memory as possible until
we need to failover.

We are not using ADG (Active DataGuard?)...it's too expensive.  Our standby
databases are all up in real-time apply mode.

I haven't quite decided how much more or less stressful it would be to have to
failover to a standby hosted by Amazon....

- Maureen

De DBA wrote:
That'll probably work, however I tend to keep them the same as the production database, if possible. When the roles are switched, the memory parameters must be adjusted to suit the new role. No problem if they are kept the same, but an extra point on the check list to be executed in a (usually) stressful situation.. and easy to overlook ;)

Cheers,
Tony

On 07/01/14 10:12, Andy Gmail wrote:
Start with 1g sga and 512m PGA.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 6, 2014, at 5:36 PM, Maureen English <maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyone willing to share what they set pga and sga values to for a standby database?

We currently have ours set to the same as our primary databases, but are looking at finding what minimum values we can use for as long as the database is in standby mode.

- Maureen