srvctl and spfile

  • From: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 15:44:06 -0400

Dear list,
I have setup a two-node RAC and in the process of configuring srvctl to
manage the instances. I have discovered some strange behavior regarding
the way srvctl utility looks for the spfile. The SID names are e52racn1
and e52racn2. The database name is e52rac:
-- I setup the initial configuration with command:
srvctl add database -d e52rac -o /home/oracle/v9i2_otc_e52rac -s
spfile.ora
(Do I need to specify the absolute path for the spfile here?)
-- I then added instance one to the configuration with command:
srvctl add instance -d e52rac -i e52racN1 -n mc0300ux550

-- Finally added the tns_admin path to the above configuration:
srvctl setenv instance -d e52rac -i e52racN1 -t
TNS_ADMIN=/home/oracle/network/admin/e52racN1_mc0300ux550

This is an 11i instance and the autoconfig utility creates the listener
and tnsnames files in a context directory and not in the
$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

The problem is that when I issue the command "srvctl start instance -d
e52rac -i e52racN1", the database comes up fine but when I use "show
spfile" command from SQL*Plus, it shows me a blank string meaning that
the instance is using initSID.ora file and not the spfile.ora file. When
I rename the initSID.ora file and bounce the instance via srvctl
command, the "show spfile" shows me "?/dbs/spfile.ora" meaning that the
instance is using the spfile. So, it seems that the srvcel utility looks
for the initialization parameters file in the reverse order than what
SQL*Plus uses. When I renamed both the spfile and the initSID.ora files
and tried to bring up the instance via srvctl, I got the following
message:
-----
PRKP-1001 : Error starting instance e52racN1 on node mc0300ux550
ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
LRM-00109: could not open parameter file
'/home/oracle/v9i2_otc_e52rac/dbs/inite52racN1.ora'
----

Has anyone experienced this behavior with the srvctl utility? Any help
will be appreciated.

Thanks
Amir