single session I/O bandwidth

  • From: Ls Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 00:01:06 +0100

Hi
I have this doubt for quite long time and asked qite a few people but seems
that so far no one knows the reasoning.

If I run a simple FTS query against a 8GB table for example I can observe a
I/O throughput  of around 30 to 40MB, if I run 2 session each get 30 to
40MB bandwidth too (aggregate 80MB/sec) however the storage array has more
than that, the maximum throughput I got from an XIV array recently is 250MB
read and 250MB write running 8 parallels.

What is the mechanism which limits a single session cannot have more than
30, 40MB throughput? Some sort of SAN QOS?

TIA