RE: select counts versus insert/select counts

  • From: Michael.Coll-Barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:45:33 -0400

I see several responses out there, which we will look into and I will
get back.

As to the SQL, without giving you the tables and the data, I am not sure
it would really help.  We are having difficulties getting the problem to
consistently replicate, even when using same data and tables in
different schemas.  Obviously, we will need something that we can go to
Oracle with, but I was looking for general ideas to pursure rather than
trying everything.

The SQL statement was basically of this form;

insert into tablex
(
 a, b, c, d
)
select a, b, c, d
from tabley y,
     tablez z
where y.key = z.key
;

The number of rows 'select'ed is different than the number of rows
'insert'ed when the code is cut and pasted into a SQL prompt.

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure.  If the reader
copies and backups thereof.  Thank you.