Re: raw device

  • From: "Greg Rahn" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 07:42:00 -0700

This is why ASM was born, the performance of raw the ease of
administration of cooked (and then some).

I would strongly suggest investigating ASM.  I've been using it in
benchmarks since 10g was GA.  It has drastically cut down the time I
spend configuring storage for benchmarks.

On 7/5/07, Kerber, Andrew W. <Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree with you.  Any performance you may think you gain by use of raw
devices is hard to measure, and offset by the additional administrative
problems associated with raw devices.  However, I just want to have a better
idea of how they need to be set up and managed, at the very least so I can
argue the merits with the Unix types.

--
Regards,

Greg Rahn