RE: options for read only mirror with 10g SE or SE One

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:17:30 -0400

oops. I missed the 5-10 minute lag max SLA of the first bit of the thread.
Carel-Jan's solutions are logically equivalent to as good as you can get in
that space, I believe.

In the mid-market competition it sure seems like Oracle is stacking the deck
against themselves on this issue after they really did some excellent work
figuring out the price points and buying strategies for off the shelf deals
to beat ConvictedMonopolistSoft. My understanding was they were trying to
manage downward the cost of sales and maximize the ease of purchase, so
trying to manage negotiations for folks in this space that want site
disaster business continuation is probably not a scalable or profitable
option.

I wonder whether the putative consequent reduction in sales costs Oracle
more money than would giving away DataGuard or the like for classes of
machines for which the SE offerings are valid. Then again, I've not done a
market size study in that space: Small total horsepower required, but needs
business continuation/reporting.

At least I'm getting good at snip and cut-and-paste address....

Regards,

mwf