Re: oerr for Windows

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:38:24 -0800 (PST)

Yeah... but you know, if everyone just googled, then
eventually those google answers would start to become
less prevalent, accurate or timely. This forum, and
others like it, contribute to the base of the
knowledge that you hold so dear when searching.
Embrace the questions... even the basic and simple
ones.

While I do have somewhat of a RTFM mentality, I also
recognize that there are those who seek answers in
different ways. I've also found that by asking what
might seem like a small question with what would seem
to be an easy answer, I get an answer that is more
enlightening that I expected.

And... I've actually wondered why Oracle didn't think
to include an oerr utility in Windows...

I have, for the most part, removed my self from
newsgroups and the like because of a relative few that
are impatient, intolerant and even rude. I've removed
myself because of those who choose to email me in
private asking me to essentially consult for free.

I have removed myself for the most part because Mr.
Hackno from Paraguay keeps telling me he is the
president of the Paraguay National Peoples Bank and he
needs my account number to funnel $20,000,000.00 US
into. (it never fails that after I post I see an
uptick in these for about 2 weeks).

I don't know if there are others that lurk out there
that hesitate to participate for these same reasons,
but I suspect so. I get enough stress and grief in my
real life, I don't need it virtually too!

On the other hand, I've made some good friends here
too....

My opinion, YMMV

Robert
Oracle Press Author and Malcontent.
--- Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Rich, You know what, I won't give you fish, but
> teach a little fishing
> (not 'phishing')
>
> Recently, the world wide web has been enhanced by a
> search engine. The
> smart guys that had this idea called it 'google',
> for whatever reason.
> If you find that engine, and key in two search
> criteria, 'windows' and
> 'oerr', it will search the web for you to find this.
>
> I just tried it, and it worked, at least, when I
> keyed in the words and
> hit the search button, it was able to find some
> sites with an oerr for
> windows. If Mladens solution doesn't work, maybe
> this one can help.
>
> Actually, it would have been much faster if you had
> done that right
> away, instead of searching for this list, composing
> some prose with a
> complete question, and then wait for the answer
> maybe to pop up.
> Thinking of this, it would make sense for the future
> to try that first.
> It is more responsive, not offended by short
> questions of just two
> words. It took me just a couple of seconds, and this
> method hasn't given
> you a straight answer in over an hour.
>
> HTH,
>
> Carel-Jan
>

> On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 09:54 -0500, Rich Holland
> [oramail] wrote:
> > Iâ??m working in a Windows shop for awhile, and I
> sorely miss being able
> > to type â??oerr ora 1555â?? at the command line
> and get a quick blurb
> > about the error message.  Has anyone found a
> replacement for this that
> > doesnâ??t involved looking things up in
> documentation files?
> >

> > Thanks
> > Rich

Robert G. Freeman
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Oracle Replication (Rampant Tech Press)
Mastering Oracle8i (Sybex)
Oracle8 to 8i Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>)
Oracle 7.3 to 8 Upgrade Exam Cram (Coriolis <RIP>)