RE: number of transactions in a day

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dd.yakkali@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:45:28 -0400

Certainly there is:

1)       Define your transactions.

2)       Have each transaction toss a bean in a bucket when it commits.

3)       Count the beans.

Rendered in damanagementese bean counterism for ease of translation.

Be advised, step 1 is rarely completed, so I have no degree of confidence on
how often step 2 is comprehensively completed within an average
organization.

Be advised, without completing steps 1 and 2, you might as well just quote
42 as the anwer for #3. Some folks use bytes of redo generated as a proxy
for workload, but that is not usually what is meant by transaction.

Regards,

mwf

PS: There are several rather long threads discussing just exactly various
persons, companies, systems, and hardware vendors count as "transactions" in
the archives of this list and several other lists, so my 42 cents is that we
not rehash them yet again here.

  _____