Re: no. of users supported

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: raja4list@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:00:23 -0500

Raj,

> The database is a complete read activity. not much inserts.

In general you are correct that only selects will reduce the server
load, meaning the server should be able to support more users. But
there are several additional issues:
  - Are the queries just retrieving a few rows through indexes, or are
full-table scans required?
  - Do most of the queries go after the same data, so the popular
block are cached in memory, or even use Materialized Views? Or will
the queries want data all over the database?
What is the I/O subsystem like? You may be better off putting more
money in the I/O subsystem than the server.

I have seen Solaris servers easily supporting the number of users you
have mentioned.

Dennis Williams