Re: no. of users supported

  • From: Allan Nelson <anelson77388@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: raja4list@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:55:09 -0500

There is not a hard and fast rule for situations like this. OLTP loads can
vary widely. Consider for instance Oracle Financials which can be loosly
characterized as an OLTP load over against a home grown application where
say 52 people are just entering data from say a phone survey. Those would be
very different load profiles.

Then there is the difference between people actively executing sql against
your database and people who are just sitting there with a connection and
not executing anything.

The best approach to seeing if this work might be a combination of watching
the CPU and checking out what your database is waiting on. For a pure OLTP
load and 2 CPU's I'd try and stay at or below about 70% of max cpu. If you
go higher than that you may well get into queueing where response time for
your users becomes unpredictable. Sorry not to give a more difinitive answer
but it really isn't that cut and dried.

Allan