Re: moving objects between tablespaces

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: godwin.ror@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:43:24 -0400

Thanks to Christian Antognini for correction - ONLINE option is only
valid for IOT table move.

On 3/22/07, Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Godwin,

You can move the table online adding "ONLINE" possibly with certain
limitations on table type and you Oracle version. Otherwise, the table
will not be available for any DML during move operation.

In both cases, the indexes on  this table will get invalidated as
indexes reference records by their rowid's which are changed as table
is moved. Exception - secondary indexes on IOT tables are rows are
referenced by primary key that doesn't change.

So unless your table is IOT, you will need to rebuild indexes - "ALTER
INDEX index_name REBUILD".

Note that if you table is partitioned you won't be able to move the
whole table with ALTER TABLE MOVE command and instead have to move
each partition.

Cheers,
Alex

--