RE: maxextents

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:11:29 -0600 (CST)

> I am still confused by maxextents on a datafile and the more documentation
> and websites that I read the more confused that I get.

> When I use OEM and try and set Maximum Size to Unlimited and hit apply, it
> doesn?t show up with the Unlimited bullet highlighted.   Instead it shows up
> as Value=32767MB.   Why is that?   Is 32GB the largest a datafile is ever
> supposed to be?
> This is on RHEL5.

Part of your confusion about MAXEXTENTS is that it shouldn't be
needed/specified for your tablespaces in 11g.  It's only for
dictionary-managed TSs, and I can't think of a reason why one should use
them in 11g:

Also, 32GB is the largest a datafile with a blocksize of 8K can be.  That's
just a limitation.  So a 300GB tablespace with a blocksize of 8K should have
at least 10 datafiles.  Bigfiles are one alternative, as are tablespaces
with larger blocksizes, but please research those options well first.