RE: maxextents

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx" <pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:43:57 -0500

PD,

Well I'm confused about your question.

For a physical data file, you can set the maximum file size to a specific size.
You can also set the increment for the file that tells Oracle how much to grow
the file by if it runs out of room.

So if a file is 100M and you tell Oracle to increment it by 50M up to 300M and
a table is growing in that tablespace/file, and you reach the 100M usage point,
Oracle will allocate another 50M to the physical file growing it to 150M.
This can happen a couple of times until the file reaches 300M.  Oracle will
then not automatically grow the file any more.

Does this answer your question?

Tom

From: pdba1966@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: maxextents
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 13:34:58 -0500
I am still confused by maxextents on a datafile and the more documentation and
websites that I read the more confused that I get.

If I have autoextend ON with NEXT set to 16384K then I understand that each
time it has to extend it will extend in 16384K chunks.

However, does maxsize value mean it will continue to allocate in those 16384K
chunks until the total of those chunks reaches the size identified by maxsize?
 It doesn't mean that maxextent is the total size the datafile can ever be
(correct?) because I have some datafiles that are currently larger than their
maxtent size...

If you have NEXT set to 16384K, is there a recommendation of what size
maxextents should be or is it just whatever you want to put it at?    For
example, does it need to be a multiple of block size or next extent, etc.

When I use OEM and try and set Maximum Size to Unlimited and hit apply, it
doesn't show up with the Unlimited bullet highlighted.   Instead it shows up as
Value=32767MB.   Why is that?   Is 32GB the largest a datafile is ever supposed
to be?

This is 11.1.0.7 on RHEL5.