RE: linux DBA's: O_Direct

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:57:06 -0800

>>>rman and regular hotbackups on different servers. Linux uses
>>>all available ram to cache the writes to ext3, which can

If this is RMAN, why isn't oracle using O_DIRECT for the ext3 target?

10gR2 will do open(,O_DIRECT,) on ext3 if you set
filesystemio_options=directIO.
I would recommend doing that, but then I'd also recommend a
filesystem where you can put any thing you please
in there - without the worry of landmines to step on...none of this
"Uh, I think I'll put some goodies in ocfs filesystem, but then
I have to put these other goodies in ext3 so my system doesn't
blow up"

Kevin Closson
Chief Architect, Database Solutions
PolyServe