Re: high cpu on query

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:34:22 -0500

On 6/29/07, Jeremy Paul Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Actually I'm pretty sure that GATHER_STATS_JOB does not gather system
statistics.  However sometimes DBA's or consultants add another job to
gather them on a regular basis.  (Generally I'm not a fan.)

Yeah gathering (i.e. changing) system statistics on a regular basis is
generally not a good idea.  You might pull statistics from an atypical
workload and find your CBO making *drastically* different decisions.

So, no, the gather_stats_job doesn't gather system statistics.  I'm
pretty sure it just calls dbms_stats.gather_database_stats() for stale
statistics.

--
Don Seiler
oracle blog: http://ora.seiler.us