RE: full-scan vs index for "small" tables

  • From: "Laimutis Nedzinskas" <Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:15:24 -0000

>From: Mladen Gogala
>Laimutis, you may want to take a look at my website
(http://www.mgogala.com).

That one http://www.mgogala.com/Manipulating_CBO.pdf is good.

In memorum:

This article explains why I have moved from development to dba.
I betrayed, I left the other developers to deal with this craziness of
reinventing a wheel 10^n'th of time.
I left them to deal with those vendors who in their hastiness to build
and sell yet another product version forgot what essential features the
previous version had.
Crazy, crazy software world.

PS:
Regarding "Therefore, I find recommending the parameter based "silver
bullet" approach most effective and the
easiest to implement":
Yes, for a well tuned system I was setting those parameters just to
index_cost=0, caching=100. Rude, but works for tuned applications.
However, this approach does not work at all for "a man must not have to
think" applications. This is where CBO unleashes its power.

Fyrirvari/Disclaimer
http://www.landsbanki.is/disclaimer