Re: ftp permission

  • From: "Stefan Knecht" <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brian.Zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:34:11 +0200

Brian,

try running your ftp client inside strace.. like "strace ftp 1.2.3.4"

then check the exact error you're getting ... "A connection can not be
established" is a masked error. What you want is something like "Connection
timed out" - that would point to a firewall issue , or perhaps "Connection
refused" - that would mean the port is closed, and perhaps the ftp service
isn't running, or is running on the non-default port (something other than
21)

It'll take a while to figure out what all the stuff strace puts out means,
but look for connect() function calls, and check the error message they
return.

Stefan

On 9/18/06, Zelli, Brian <Brian.Zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello all, I am trying to ftp some scripts to a linux server and I get an error saying:

The FTP server returned this error:
A connection can not be established
Please try again.

Is there an admin permission that has to be set up for my userid?  Or is
there some ftp protocol that needs to be run?
I'm somewhat new to linux......

Brian

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or
agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended
recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.