Re: expdp without password

  • From: April Sims <aprilcsims@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 08:22:07 -0500

Using sysdba for exports is NOT recommended since 10g.  Below is a direct
quote from MOS Note: *How to Connect AS SYSDBA when Using Export or Import
[ID 277237.1]*
"SYSDBA is used internally in the Oracle database and has specialized
functions. Its behavior is not the same as for generalized users. For
example, the SYS user cannot do a transaction level consistent read
(read-only transaction). Queries by SYS will return changes made during the
transaction even if SYS has set the transaction to be READ ONLY.  Therefore
export parameters like CONSISTENT, OBJECT_CONSISTENT, FLASHBACK_SCN, and
FLASHBACK_TIME cannot be used.
Starting with Oracle10g, the export shows a warning that the export is not
consistent when the export is started with CONSISTENT=Y and connects to the
database with the user SYS (or as SYSDBA):
EXP-00105: parameter CONSISTENT is not supported for this user

Note that Oracle automatically provides read consistency to a query so that
all the data that the query sees comes from a single point in time
(statement-level read consistency). For export this means that the export of
table data is consistent. However, if a table contains nested tables, the
outer table and each inner table are exported as separate transactions. And
if a table is partitioned, each partition is exported as a separate
transaction. If a nested table or a partitioned table was updated during the
export, the data that is exported while connected as the SYS schema could be
inconsistent.

Typically, there is no need to invoke Export or Import as SYSDBA, except in
the following situations:
- at the request of Oracle technical support;
- when exporting a transportable tablespace set with the old-style export
utility (Oracle9i and Oracle8i);
- when importing a transportable tablespace set with the old-style import
utility (Oracle10g, Oracle9i, and Oracle8i)."

--
April C. Sims
IOUG SELECT Journal Executive Editor