High shared pool usage

  • From: Ram Raman <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:30:24 -0500

List,
We have a 10.2 db with the ASMM enabled. Here are some of the SGA components
currently:

COMPONENT
CURRENT_SIZE   MAX_SIZE OPER_COUNT
---------------- ---------- ----------
shared pool
12,029,263,872          0       4289
large pool
16,777,216          0          0
java pool
33,554,432          0          2
streams
pool
0          0          0
DEFAULT buffer cache
9,210,691,584          0       4291
KEEP buffer cache
167,772,160          0          0
..

I am surprised to see that the shared_pool is higher than buffer cache. SGA
target and max size are 20G. I was thinking of the factors that could cause
high shared pool usage - not using binds, lots of SQLs on a several
different tables (this is third party apps with 10s of 1000s of tables),
etc.

I was digging around and I found some statistics that look surprising:

NAME                                          VALUE
---------------------------------------- ----------
parse time cpu                              4340323
parse time elapsed                         13931671
parse count (total)                       200405706
parse count (hard)                         34470197
parse count (failures)                        12680

SQL> select startup_time from v$instance;

STARTUP_T
---------
30-AUG-11

In less than 30 days, it seems there had been more than a million hard parse
a day. That number looks too much to me. This is an OLTP financial
application. Any comments?

Thanks.