Re: excessive number of db writer

  • From: amonte <ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Anjo Kolk" <anjo.kolk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:43:33 +0200

Forgot to mention the version, my bad

9.2.0.7

On 9/6/06, Anjo Kolk <anjo.kolk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Did the consultant also tell you to dim the light in the computer?

Without knowing more detail about your system, these settings look rather
suspicious. It looks more like a consultant showing of his _ parameter
knowledge (or actually lack of it).

If I had to interpret these recommendations, I would say that you have a
system that suffers from many hard/soft parsers (library cache and shared
pool latch contention) and some DBWR performance problems. But again without
more data (versions, stats etc) I wouldn't be able to tell for sure.

Anjo.

On 9/6/06, amonte <ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > Hi > > I have been suggested by some Oracle Consultant to set 20 Database > Writer in a 12 CPU HP-UX Server. > > Does anyone know what are the side effects of having excessive DBWR? I > detected a higher CPU usage (between, 1% to 2%) not sure if its due to the > number of Database Writer. Because when I increased the number of DBWR at > init.ora I also changed these parameters > > _row_cache_cursors = 60 > _kgl_latch_count = 59 > _kghdsidx_count = 4 > statistics_level = basic > > again suugested by this guy. > > TIA > > Alex > > >

--
Anjo Kolk
Owner and Founder OraPerf Projects