Re: excessive number of db writer

  • From: "Anjo Kolk" <anjo.kolk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:41:33 +0200

Did the consultant also tell you to dim the light in the computer?

Without knowing more detail about your system, these settings look rather
suspicious. It looks more like a consultant showing of his _ parameter
knowledge (or actually lack of it).

If I had to interpret these recommendations, I would say that you have a
system that suffers from many hard/soft parsers (library cache and shared
pool latch contention) and some DBWR performance problems. But again without
more data (versions, stats etc) I wouldn't be able to tell for sure.

Anjo.

On 9/6/06, amonte <ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

I have been suggested by some Oracle Consultant to set 20 Database Writer
in a 12 CPU HP-UX Server.

Does anyone know what are the side effects of having excessive DBWR? I
detected a higher CPU usage (between, 1% to 2%) not sure if its due to the
number of Database Writer. Because when I increased the number of DBWR at
init.ora I also changed these parameters

_row_cache_cursors = 60
_kgl_latch_count = 59
_kghdsidx_count = 4
statistics_level = basic

again suugested by this guy.

TIA

Alex

-- Anjo Kolk Owner and Founder OraPerf Projects tel: +31-577-712000 mob: +31-6-55340888