Re: dataguard

  • From: Veres Lajos <vlajos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:55:19 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Sam Chakkanat wrote:

Veres,

Thanks for your response.

What is size of your application?  How many tables? volume.  Depending, Oracle
Streams may also be an option.

Rman dump is about 3 G.
Exp dump~ 1.8 G.
We have 70-80 tables.
Most of selects uses a single (products) table.
If we could spread the queries against that table that would be a big gain too.

But DML redirect to master only may need some work, if application cannot
support that. (or use specific service names for application? )

I think we can modify our application. This isnt a big issue.

Your standby database can be logical/physical depending upon the application
and the business need. And you could
defer the apply at the standby to leverage the stand by server as a "read only".

There is any way to apply the logs continually and meantime read from the standby database?
Or this operations exclude the other?

Hope this helps.

Sam Chakkanat

---- Veres Lajos <vlajos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

(I never used dataguard before. Sorry for my lame questions.)

Is it possible to syncronize nearly on-line and use the "backup" database
as a select-only node with loadbalancing?
Our system is 99% read-only. Dataguard seems to be good for
redundancy/failsafe, but it would be great if we could use the "backup"
machines CPU too.

TNS can spreads SELECTs between the two nodes, and redirect DMLs to
only the master?
(Isnt a big problem if TNS cant, then the applications DB layer
should do it.)

Other solution could be a Master->Slave replication, but I think it
wont be as solid.

Exists any other Oracle solution for "cumulate computers power"?
I heard about RAC, but seems a bit expensive for us. (Shared storage)

Any comment, experience, suggestion, (rtfm keyword) would be really
appreciated.

Thanks.
--
Veres Lajos