Re: database links and performance

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jdunn@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:48:31 -0500

In the x86 (and x86-64) space, most servers ship with dual integrated
network adapters supporting gigabit.

Non-managed 8 port Gigabit switches are in the $100 (USD) range.
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&scid=42&prid=529

If your servers are not yet fully exploiting their gigabit network
adapters, why not use a backbone network for your database links,
batch jobs and backups?

It works for me.
BTW - by using a separate listener for the gigabit network with a
larger SDU - you can better exploit jumbo ethernet frames. beware -
interoperability just plain sucks. go with one vendor's products, or
abandon jumbo frames entirely.
One vendor's large jumbo frame is 9000 bytes, another's is 9014 bytes.
They don't play nicely together.

(don't forget the larger SDU size in the client tnsnames.ora file also).

Paul