RE: database links and performance

  • From: "Knight, Jon" <jknight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'jdunn@xxxxxxxxx'" <jdunn@xxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:42:45 -0600

  I can second Tom's comment that "bad things happen" when joining across
links.  Especially if the remote tables have much size.  Other strategies
are create a function on the remote DB to return just a small result set
across the link (if applicable.)  Replicate certain data to your local DB
depending on needs/space.
  We have also observed a performance hit (significant in some cases) even
when both DBs are on the the same box.  That said, links are a great thing.
We use them all the time.

Jon Knight
Senior Database Analyst
2525 Horizon Lake Drive, Suite 120
Memphis, TN  38133
JKnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
901.371.8000 - Phone
800.238.7675 - Phone
901.380.8336 - Fax
www.FirstData.com
First Data's merger with Concord creates "One Company" with enhanced choice,
voice and innovation for all customers.