Re: bitmap conversion to rowids operation with btree indexes?

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:12:23 -0000

Yes

If you check the plan you should see things like:
table access by rowid
    bitmap conversion to rowid
        bitmap and                    -- could be OR
            bitmap conversion (from rowids)
                sort (order by)
                    index (range scan) of {btree index}
            bitmap conversion (from rowids)
                sort (order by)
                    index (range scan) of {btree index}

Oracle can do this on tables without bitmap indexes
if parameter b_tree_bitmap_plans = true.

If the parameter is false, the manual says (I think)
that there has to be at least one bitmap index in
existence for this to be possible.

The default value is FALSE in 8i, and true in 9i,
and some people have reported performance
problems because there setup started doing this
conversion too frequently in inappropriate cases.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Public Appearances - schedule updated Dec 23rd 2004