RE: artificial values vs null

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sollig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:18:17 -0500

I missed this thread!  One of our vendors circumvents NULLs by placing a =
single zero ("0") in the 7-byte DATE columns when they mean NULL.  The =
only way I know of how to do this is thru an OCI call.  Oracle has =
acknowledged this as a bug, but the last I heard, they hadn't closed it =
because so many people had designed systems to use it.  Oracle did =
however cause an error in the reporting of these columns thru their ODBC =
driver.  The MS Oracle ODBC driver reports the columns to be something =
like "November 21, 1899".  I forget the exact date, but it's not the =
Smithsonian "zero date".

BTW, don't do this.  It's just an example of what some have done...

Rich