Re: Zero Downtime Upgrade and Migration

  • From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, avadhanimys@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 23:14:33 +0530

Avadhani,

whenever we are saying datababase upgradation or migration then there are
only 3-4 methods, I am using very common langauge, so everybody will
understand and can point errors there in..
0) database software and rdbms upgrade
1) data copying using logical backups i.e. export import
2) inserting/updating tuples provided skeleton is confirmed..i.e. tablespace
and datafiles size and locations are confirmed, schemas, privileges, roles,
grants are as per new version..here you can use sqlloader, sql queries,
database links, copying tables using database links etc and tools such as
streams, replication or golden gate primarly based on sql queries..this
exercise requires a lot of ground work..
3) or assume this is the first day of the organisation, declare the cut of
date for previous data and start using latest installed database, with only
skeleton as mentioned in point 2..this type of approch will not require any
down time as you are not consider any thing about past data.

if the past data and time frame is important then down time is
required..give a rough estimation of work, justify it by trying on
development..then only everybody will be comfrtable.

Thanks!
Subodh

--
DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY